This document provides guidance for preventing the transmission of COVID-19 to Ocean Village Resort employees, guests and surrounding communities.
To limit the spread of COVID-19, the Provincial Health Officer has issued Orders that impact the hospitality industry. These Orders outline conditions and provide specific direction regarding the services provided at Ocean Village Resort. This document will outline new measures put into place across all departments and will be revised as needed based on provincial and district direction.
This document is fluid and will be updated as needed and applies to all employees and guests.
GENERAL INFORMATION on COVID-19
COVID-19 is spread through large liquid droplets when a person infected with COVID-19 coughs or sneezes. The virus in these droplets can enter through the eyes, nose or mouth of another person if they are in close contact with the person who coughed or sneezed.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory illnesses, including the flu and the common cold. These symptoms include cough, sneezing, fever, sore throat and difficulty breathing. People infected with COVID-19 may experience little or no symptoms, with illness ranging from mild to severe.
People who are contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case, meaning they have been or could have been exposed to the virus, but do not have symptoms, are required to self-isolate. Self-isolation means staying home and avoiding situations where you could come in contact with others.
You must stay at home and self quarantine for 14 days if you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others.
Practice diligent hand hygiene at all times by washing with plain soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Practice cough etiquette by coughing into your elbow or covering your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue when you sneeze.
Immediately dispose of used tissues and wash your hands.
We must wear a mask at all times and maintain a physical distance of two metres from others.
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands. Do not share food, drinks, utensils,
cigarettes, vaping devices, joints or bongs…NOTHING, SHARE NOTHING!
CURRENT STATUS: Re-opened for the second time February 8 2021
We will be operating our office with limited guest contact.
Our pool and hot tub are limited to 1 family bubble at a time, with 10 – 45min slots and 15 min in between.
Our guest laundry and BBQ area will be open with social distance rules and sanitization requests.
Unfortunately at this time, we will only be booking Island residents for essential travel only until further notice.
Additional signage regarding social distancing etc is posted throughout the property, along with sanitization stations.
You may find the kitchens a little light on its contents, this is to make sure everything is sanitized correctly while still offering a reasonable check in time.
Please be aware of your social distance practices at all times.
HOUSEKEEPING, FRONTRUNNING & MAINTENANCE
Current practices for employees:
- Masks are to be worn by all staff members at all times.
- On day of guests departure, we have asked the guest to leave the unit with the door and
windows left open for aeration.
- A designated staff member will be entering a departed cabin no less than 10 min after guest
departs the cabin. The staff member performing this task must wear gloves and face mask at all
- The frontrunner will take the laundry back to the sanitized laundry room directly after leaving
- The laundry person will then gently (with mask and gloves) put the linens into the washer, they
will then disinfect the laundry bin and machines, followed by hand washing.
- Housekeepers use a clean rag for each different surface with disinfectant in departed room.
- Washing all kitchen wares.
- Disinfecting all surfaces and high traffic touch points.
- Once staff have finished cleaning one unit or a frontrunning task in a unit, they dispose of their
used gloves and use a sink to wash their hands or sanitize at one of the stations in their
department. Put on a new pair of gloves to continue on to the next unit.
- Housekeeping will not be entering occupied cabins, as well as no daily service. If the guest
requires anything, they can use our whistle/texting program to request an item and we will be happy to have it left at the units door with a knock as notification that the item has been delivered.
- We are asking all guests to take out their garbage and recycling prior to checking out of their cabin, as this will cut down on contact.
- Maintenance staff will not be entering occupied cabins. They will trouble shoot from outside cabin and for more serious matters, unfortunately we will have to move the guest to another cabin. If there is not another cabin, we will ask guest to vacate unit before staff goes into fix issue.
- We have temporarily ceased our Compost program.
- We have stored away all our beach chairs, beach toys, games, puzzles and books to borrow until
- We have removed a few items from the cabins to cut back on work load.
- At the end of a shift, disinfect all surfaces of the golf cart. If you must lend a cart to another
employee, you must disinfect it first.
- Radios must be disinfected repeatedly throughout your shift. Do not allow the radio to touch
your face when speaking into it.
The office will be open 8:00AM through 9:00PM.
- Only 2 guests in the office at a time.
- Mask are mandatory when entering the office.
- Office staff to wear a mask when a guest enters, also when there is another staff member in
- We ask that everyone sanitize on their way into the office, while in office and on their way
out. Thank you!
- We have implemented a virtual check in program to limit contact.
- At the beginning, middle and end of each day the office will be fully sanitised, including cleaning
of bathroom, all work surfaces, phones, POS machines, ice chest, fridge, all door handles. After
every guest interaction the immediate area will be sanitized.
- The timeclock will also be sanitised by office staff at the end of each day, only to be used by
office staff. All other staff to sign in and out with manager/supervisor.
- We have ceased all departments from entering office unless it is an emergency and all staff are
- Guests will be notified in advance (through pre-arrival email) of our protocols, procedures,
reduced operations and services. Also a reminder to not travel if they have any symptoms of
- We have limited our merchandise in lobby/office area, limiting touch points.
- We have installed plexiglass barriers at the front desk, for staff and guest safety.
- There are multiple sanitization stations in the lobby/office space, with signage for distancing.
- Reminder signage for social distancing is placed around the resort, please respect the staff and
guests around you.
- There are absolutely no visitors allowed in any of the staff accommodation units for any reason.
- Staff must sanitize before entering home.
- We have provided cleaning products for disinfecting the staff accommodation and
suggest it be disinfected multiple times a day.
- Limited staff in one area of the house at a time, keeping social distance.
- Any shared bedrooms will have beds at opposite ends of room, foot to head.
- Partitions will be erected if a bedroom has to be shared.
- If ANY staff feel ANY symptoms, they are to isolate in their bedroom immediately and
contact a Manager ASAP. Said staff member will then call 811 to schedule a test. They
will then isolate in an off site accommodation.
- Staff are asked to please comply with Bonnie Henrys recommendations in their personal
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
Ocean Village Resort is committed to providing a healthy and safe work environment for its workers and preventing occupational illness and injury. To express that commitment, we issue the following policy update on occupational health and safety.
As the employer, Ocean Village Resort is responsible for the health and safety of its workers.
Ocean Village Resort will make every effort to provide a healthy and safe work environment. We are dedicated to the objective of eliminating the possibility of injury and illness.
Supervisors have been trained and held responsible for ensuring that workers, under their supervision, follow this policy. They are accountable for ensuring that workers use safe work practices and receive training to protect their health and safety. Supervisors also have a general responsibility for ensuring the safety of equipment and facility.
The workers of Ocean Village Resort will be required to support this organisation’s health and safety initiative and to cooperate with others exercising authority under the applicable laws.
It is the duty of each worker to report to the supervisor or manager, as soon as possible, any hazardous conditions, injury, accident, or illness related to the workplace. Also, workers must protect their health and safety by complying with applicable Acts and Regulations and following policies, procedures, rules, and, instructions as prescribed by Ocean Village Resort.
Ocean Village Resort will, where possible, eliminate hazards and, thus, the need for personal protective equipment. If that is not possible, and where there is a requirement, workers will be required to use safety equipment, clothing, devices, and materials for personal protection.
Ocean Village Resort recognises the worker’s duty to identify hazards, and supports and encourages workers to play an active role in identifying hazards and to offer suggestions or ideas to improve the health and safety program.
Ocean Village Resort – COVID-19 Protocols & Procedures
COMMUNICABLE DISEASE AND/OR ILLNESS POLICY
The purpose of this policy is to provide direction to employees of Ocean Village Resort in preparing for and responding to communicable diseases and illnesses that may threaten the safety of its employees and guests.
For the purposes of this policy, ‘communicable disease or illness’ means an infectious disease or illness transmissible by an infected individual via direct or indirect means.
For the purposes of this policy, ‘OV Community’ includes: all current employees, contractors working on site who agree to submit to the processes under this policy, anyone residing on site, visitors and guests, and, anyone using Ocean Village Resort facilities.
This policy applies to all members of the OV Community.
Management will provide members of the OV Community with the best information possible and adopt prudent public health and health care practices. Ocean Village Resort will follow the medical advice and direction from the appropriate medical authorities (Regional Medical Health Officer, BC Centre for Disease Control, and, Health Canada).
Individuals who have or suspect they may have a communicable disease or illness are required to report their concerns to the local health professionals and senior management at Ocean Village Resort.
Ocean Village Resort will reasonably accommodate individuals affected with a communicable disease or illness without putting other members of the OV Community at unnecessary risk. This may include excusing an employee from their duties with the intent that they quarantine themselves for a given period of time.
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Ocean Village Resort will take all reasonable steps to protect the privacy of individuals who have a communicable disease or illness. In administering this policy, Ocean Village Resort will not disclose the identity of any individual who has a communicable disease or illness, except as authorized or required by law. Ocean Village Resort may be required to disclose personal information if there is a risk of significant harm to the health or safety of the public or a group of people or if requested by the medical health officer or designate under the Public Health Act.
Ocean Village Resort will keep informed of the recommendations on travel from Health Canada and educate and inform the OV Community as needed.
Ocean Village Resort will follow any applicable WorkSafe BC requirements.